1. I will praise you, Lord, for you have rescued me.
You refused to let me enemies triumph over me.
2. O Lord my God, I cried out to you for help,
And you restored my health.
3. You brought me up from the grave, O Lord.
You kept me from falling into the pit of death.
4. Sing to the Lord all you godly ones!
Praise his holy name.
5. His anger lasts for a moment,
But his favour lasts a lifetime!
Weeping may go on all night,
But joy comes in the morning.
6. When I was prosperous I said
“Nothing can stop me now!”
7. Your favour, O Lord, made me as secure as a mountain.
Then you turned away from me,
and I was shattered.
8. I cried out to you, O Lord,
I begged the Lord for mercy, saying,
9. “What will you gain if I die,
if I sink down into the grave?
Can my dust praise you from the grave?
Can it tell the world of your faithfulness?
10. Hear me, Lord, and have mercy on me.
Help me, O Lord”
11. You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing.
You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy,
12. That I might sing praises to you and not be silent.
O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever! (NLT)
I absolutely love this Psalm. It speaks so beautifully what my heart wants to say. Yesterday (June 5th) was the 5th anniversary of the day I lost my voice to cancer. A few days earlier, I had anticipated it might be a sad day remembering that difficult time and grieving again what I had lost but God is so good, I got up yesterday with a spirit of praise and a real sense of gratitude.
Really, this anniversary is not at all about remembering a loss but it is a celebration of what has been found. It is an opportunity to recognise the Lord’s gracious hand upon my life and express my gratitude for his faithfulness, his love and protection over me. He has turned my mourning into dancing. He has taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy, that I might sing praises to Him and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever.